Monday, February 7, 2011

The Problem with Cinder Blocks

Have you ever picked up and carried a cinder block?  Sturdy sucker, aren't they.  They have substance, that is for sure. 

As a single mother, soon to be grandmother and a full time staff accountant, my plate stays very full.  In addition, I am a very goal oriented person and someone who is much happier multitasking my way through life, rather than sitting back (even occassionally) as the spectator.  I like a perfectly clean and organized house (in theory) and a preplanned schedule.  As you can guess the label "single mother" and the description I just laid out go together as well as oil and water.

My goals, the things I would really like to do with my spare time (whatever that is), much like a cinder block, have substance.  My thinking, (again in theory) is that doing these things, completing unfinished projects, spending my time in many different endeavors would add substance to my life.  The problem is, again, much like a cinder block, those ideas are heavy suckers.  I carry them around in my mind waiting for that spare time to show up and the more ideas I want to try and the more goals I want to accomplish and the more I fool myself into thinking I can single handedly do it all, the more weighed down I am with the weight of those cinder blocks.  I become exhausted and discouraged just planning to do something outside of my daily life routine.

Clearly my life lacks priority.  And while I am not sure how to resolve this problem, I have done two very important things.  One, I have turned it over to God.  He will, as he sees fit, either give me the energy I lack, the direction I need or the wisdom to balance my life so that things fall into their proper prioritized place.  The second thing I have done is made one area in my craft room where I post ideas I would like to try or projects I would like to finish or goals I would like to accomplish.  Notice that I said "WOULD LIKE TO", not NEED TO.  My cinder blocks now seem sturdy enough to give my life substance, but not so heavy that I am crushed beneath them.  Whew!!!

1 comment: